Toddlers learn through play. So when they are playing they are learning! The more focused and engrossed they are in an activity, more they are getting from it. They may be practicing physical skills, strengthening what they know or making new connections. The Early Years Foundation Stage’s- Characteristics of Effective Learning are listed below in three sections. If your toddler is doing any of the bullet points during play, you can be sure they are learning form it!
EYFS Characteristics of Effective Learning
1. Playing and exploring-engagement
- Finding out and exploring
- Playing with what they know
- Being willing to ‘have a go’.
2. Active Learning-motivation
- Being involved and concentrating
- Keeping trying
- Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
3. Creating and thinking critically -thinking
- Having their own ideas
- Making links
- Choosing ways to do things